22 February 2013
Test your knowledge of the Great War with our quick quiz. ...
1. In what year did the First World War begin?
2. What was the name of the man on the famous ‘Your Country Needs You’ poster?
3. In what city was Archduke Franz Ferdinand assassinated?
4. On the 1st of which month in 1916 did the battle of the Somme begin?
5. What year did the first tanks appear in battle?
6. What was the name given to the battalions made up of men from the same towns?
7. What was the nickname for the British soldier?
8. What was the name of the British Commander in Chief from 1915 until the end of the War?
9. The USA entered the war in April of which year?
10. Where is the UK’s Tomb of the Unknown Warrior?
Here are a few more interesting facts:
- When war broke out the government asked for 100,000 volunteers to join the army. They got 750,000 in the very first month.
- 10% of all First World War soldiers were killed in the conflict, a higher percentage than any other war in human history.
- The British sent 49 tanks into the battle.
- The number of employed women in Britain rose from 3.2 million in July 1914 to almost 5 million at the start of 1918.
2. Lord Kitchener
6. Pals battalions
8. Douglas Haig
10. Westminster Abbey, London